Saturday 30 August 2008

Lazy Saturday

Nakumatt
 
Feeling a lot better now. Had a rocky couple of days but all good.

Chris, another CouchSurfer, came back from Burundi last night and was off at 5am to catch his bus to Tanzania. He had to book a private taxi as it's umuganda today and he was leaving so early.

I went to the movies last night with David, from salsa, and Karen. We saw If Only, which was in French, so Karen translated for me. It was a good concept, but a terribly delivered film. Perhaps it loses a lot in translation. It was just cool being at the cinema, though. Plus Paul Nicholls, who used to be a bit of a heart-throb when I was at college, looks rather a lot like a young Brendan Fraser now, I think.

There was one disturbing part where the woman dies horribly in a car crash. It was really a very graphic scene, the guy breaks down crying with her friend. The entire cinema audience burst into laughter! It really wasn't a funny scene. It's the way people cope with awful things here. If someone falls over in the street or a dog gets hit by a car, people just laugh. It's a bit disturbing, but you never see adults cry in public here.

I'm having a bit of a Tudor fest today. Watching Elizabeth, the Golden Age and The Other Boleyn Girl whilst doing my nails and hair. It's Martine's big leaving do at India Khazana tonight. Julie, a volunteer from another organisation, is crashing here afterwards.

I've cheered up a bit. There's a new supermarket opened at UTC. It's Kenyan run and it sells everything! Bought cat food there, and real butter, the other day - and a bottle of wine, just because it was there and affordable. They sell video cameras, fridges, microwaves, toasters, toastie makers, books - all sorts! I can never claim to be deprived again, although I can't afford much of it.

Also, the prospect of parents coming is growing more real. Monday will mark the beginning of my last week at work before a two-week break in which I get to do all things touristy :) Really looking forward to the time off.

Not much else to report. Karen's just brought me a stack of books that she and Antonia published with VSO money. Dufasha Abana Batumva Kuvuga - Helping to Communicate with your Deaf Child. It's a really basic illustrated handbook in Kinyarwanda. Really good. To be given out free to parents of Deaf children. Excellent stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment